Friday, July 9, 2010

Secret admission

I watch Wife Swap. Every afternoon my remote control happens to find it's way to Lifetime for the 3 hour long run of this horrendous show. I don't know why. It is like an accident, I don't want to see it, but I just can't turn away. This is one of those things that I don't want to admit to, and I find very embarrassing.


At every stage of this show (intro, home rules, rule change, confrontation) I find something appalling about each family. It makes me angry that crazy people like this are having multitudes of children, and there is not going to be any shortage of them as long as this show is looking for the crazies to put on TV. I will accept my share of the responsibility. I watch this show, therefore I am part of the problem. I am intrigued by insane lifestyles of the ultra conservative, the uber liberal, the off the wall anarchists, and the overly strict bible thumpers.

The best part of the show is the end. The final five minutes when we get to see how each family has benefited by opening their mind to someone elses way of life. This is the only part of the show that is redeeming. It is amazing to think that by walking in someone elses shoes for a just a short time how much we can learn about our own flaws, and how they are impacting our family. I love the thought that so much change is possible within ourselves when we are willing to open up to other ideas.














No comments:

Post a Comment